06 October 2016

The mind was willing; the body not so!

 Zenshin dojo coach Phil shares his journey so far.

What's your position in the club and your graded level? 

My current grade is as a 2nd Dan, which I achieved in 2010 after going through ‘Hell Hill’ at Hartpury for the first ever 2nd Dan  assessment. It was certainly a challenge; however, after completing it I certainly felt a great deal of self  satisfaction at having pushed myself to the limit, and beyond, successfully. As for my position, after starting the Bath venue as joint instructors with Pete , in 2010, I now lead the Saturday morning session at the Grange School.
Lastly, I also assist with  arranging the assessments for blue belt upwards to try and help alleviate some of the work load on Rob. Rob, Liz or I will run the  assessments acting as the Grading Instructor on the day to ensure the candidates have the very best opportunity to gain useful feedback from those assessing their current level of practice.

How long have you been practicing karate and why did you start in the first place?

I've been practicing since July 2001. I started after my son Ryan had started earlier in the year. I remember the moment I decided to try  Karate - It was whilst I was videoing a bo kata at the Grange during their summer fete where the adults and junior groups were doing some demonstrations. After watching the kata I decided to sign up and later that month attended the Junior Summer School at Lancaster with Ryan and insisted I had a Gi to go with.

What do you find more satisfying, teaching or practicing and why?

Hmmm, a tough one as I enjoy both very much. I  suppose, as you come up through the grades, the learning is of course fun and fulfilling. However, I've  always enjoyed teaching, even as a blue or brown belt helping out in lessons. If I had to choose now I would go for teaching. Not only
because sometimes I find it difficult to practice to the level I wish to, because of the old knees and back, but mainly because I enjoy helping others to try and reach their full potential. If I can help others with the knowledge I've gained over the last 11 years and if they can one day be at a level which surpasses my own knowledge then, hopefully, I will have assisted in them getting there. Giving back is what it's all about!
I've also found that  teaching is also a great way to learn. Having to explain and think about how and what to teach to all  different grades opens up a whole new thought process and understanding for all aspects of our karate.

Describe how .you yourself understand our karate journey.

Each and everyone's  journey is their own. No two are alike and you forge your own path by how you study and commit to the task in hand.

What has been your  biggest challenge during your time at Zenshin and what has been your biggest success (or what are you most proud of)?

My biggest challenges have been recovering from a back fusion, hip operation where my femur was split lengthways for a clean out and two operations on each of my knees again for a clean out. I still suffer regularly from the pain of these and struggle through most weeks. I  continue to try and resolve these issues but it is a  constant uphill struggle.
My proudest moment was when my son, Ryan, got his junior black belt back in 2005 at the junior summer school in Lancaster.
As for my biggest  success - learning how to teach, hopefully! It's an art which not everyone finds easy and is a skill like all others, which must be learnt. It is also an ongoing  experience, constantly changing and I'm always learning from the  experiences.

Have you ever studied any other martial art apart from karate and, if so, how do they compare?

No I haven't.

Do you have a favourite or favoured karate  technique and, if so, why do you like it so much? 

I don't have any particular technique I favour. I  suppose my favourite is whatever is needed at the time.

Do you enjoy martial arts movies and if you do, do you have a favourite?

I do enjoy watching martial art movies, but none in  particular.

If you had any one piece of advice to give a pupil just starting out on their karate journey what would it be?

To always try your best and put everything into every practice.

What would you have  written on your karate headstone? 

The mind was willing; the body not so!