09 March 2017

In Conversation with Iain Abernethy

Recently Iain Abernethy led a successful seminar in Bristol hosted by Zenshin dojo.  During a 20 minute break Zenshin member Justin Richards seized an opportunity to ask Iain questions.  In part one of the interview Iain provides an honest and personal  account of his karate journey so far and his thoughts on karate as an Olympic sport.

What do you find more satisfying, teaching or practising and why?
I enjoy both, but in terms of my practice is just for me, whereas my teaching is for others, and obviously others will outlast me, so I would have to say that I probably find teaching more satisfying as in that will have the longest influence, whereas my own personal practice that obviously dies with me, but my teaching hopefully doesn’t.


 What has been your biggest karate challenge so far?

Probably early on getting used to the discipline of regular training, when I wasn’t a child that would do that, but when I realised I can train consistently and get results from that, that was something of a revelation to me, so I would say that it was probably those early days once I got that habit it’s just never stopped and since then things have been pretty easy karate wise because I enjoy it greatly, there’s a few bumps along the road injuries, you have to overcome and stuff, but that would be it originally, disciplining myself to train regularly.

What has been your biggest success (or what are you most proud of)?

Probably my first book, simply because that was my first attempt to communicate the ideas I had with a wider audience, so although I don’t think it was my best book, and it certainly not my most popular book, it was the one I was most proud of because that was the point where I put my head above the parapet and said I think I’ve got something I want to say, so my first book is probably the one I’m most proud of today.

Were you affected by the 2005 or 2016 floods?

Not directly no, my house is on the edge of the town but obviously the town was badly affected and therefore people I either know or my family, my father lost a car in it, Fred who people might know through the books and DVD’s, his house was flooded out, so people we know, were, and obviously the town I live in was, but personally I was very lucky and got away with no damage to my personal property or anything like that.

What are your thoughts regarding Karate as an Olympic sport?

I’m indifferent to it. I’m happy for the athletes because I know how hard they work and the people around them the referees, the political organisations and I know the amount of effort that people have put in to wanting that to happen, so I’m pleased for them. But for me it’s an irrelevance it’s not what I do, it’s not what I practice, I don’t think it will have a big influence on karate generally as well, because at most we’ll be talking about 30 seconds of highlight footage, once every 4 years, so I don’t think, as some people do, that it will have a big influence on the way that karate is perceived, I don’t think it will. We’ll just turn up at the dojo and do what we’ve always done. So I’m pleased for them but it makes no difference to me.