20 September 2016

An Interview with Karim

Zenshin dojo newsletter editor, Justin, interviews Zenshin dojo stalwart Karim about his karate journey and personal  challenges.


What's your position in the club and your graded level?
First Dan.  
How long have you been  practising karate and why did you start in the first place?
It's a long story. When I reached the age 40 I was suddenly hit by two strange urges - one was to do some exercise, as I hadn't done any since leaving school. The second was to do something for others. 
Incidentally I had long been keen to visit Cuba before Fidel Castro died. So imagine my surprise when I opened a newspaper one morning and saw an advert for a charity cycle ride across Cuba. Feeling that some things are meant to be, I signed up and started training to cycle from Havana to Trinidad to raise funds for the National Deaf Children’s Society. At the same time my five year old son joined the junior karate club, “KEBBA” and shortly afterwards my wife joined Zenshin dojo. Once I’d completed the cycle ride, and still keen to keep up some regular exercise, joining Zenshin seemed a natural step. So in March 2003 I joined the Cotham class.
What do you find more satisfying, teaching or practising and why?
I am happy to help wherever I can, whether it is taking some new starters through some Kihon or covering the odd class when an instructor can't make it. I do enjoy it and get a lot from it. On the other hand I am also very conscious of having a lot to learn and of having to remember what I learnt last week. So I am happy to just turn up and go with it whatever we are doing. 
Describe how you yourself understand our karate journey?
Well it’s certainly a journey and not a race. Also I don't see it as one continuous one way journey necessarily either. More of a grand tour of many places. You can visit Paris for the weekend and get a feel for it or you can spend years there and still not see all of it. At the risk of overdoing the metaphor, the black belts have a role as tour guides to help you get the most from your time there. If you revisit a place after a few months you notice things you didn't see the first time round.
How would you differentiate between Yin and Yang energy?
I think that in some social situations it is much easier to instinctively know when to be yin and when to be yang.  Imagine returning some faulty purchase to a shop in order to get a refund. Initially you might begin by quietly stating the facts and calmly asking for your money back. If you get an apologetic, empathetic, positive response you might find your yin approach has done the job effectively. If you are met with casual indifference and rudeness, you might feel the red mist descending and decide to engage some yang energy to make your point more directly, loudly, dynamically. Depending on the reaction, you may feel that you have made your point and revert to a calmer style. In those sorts of situations, it would be much more natural and instinctive for me as to when to be yin and when to be yang. Also moving from one to the other and recognising elements of one in the other would be clearer. Translating that into a karate situation, I find much more difficult and it is going to take me a lot more practice. I often think of this article I read a while back that you might find interesting:   http://www.travisdharma.com/ yin-yang-balance-in-everydaylife/
What has been your biggest challenge during your time at Zenshin and what has been your biggest success (or what are you most proud of)?
I think the hardest time for me was the transition from blue to brown belt. I had to learn to change my breathing to get through the assessment; and my biggest success? It has to be making it to black belt at Winter School in Largs, Scotland.
Have you ever studied any other martial art apart from karate and, if so, how do they compare?
Yes, I studied Judo for a few years as a teenager. I spent three years being thrown around a dojo but it did give me a lot of opportunity to practice break-falls. In terms of similarities, Judo focussed a lot on using the whole body, fluid movement and using an opponent’s energy against him/her. It was very much about using throws and sweeps to get an opponent on the ground and then using holds and locks to immobilise them. It complements our style of karate very well as we have seen when we have had sessions on break-falls and on ground- work.
Do you have a favourite or favoured karate technique and, if so, why do you like it so much?
I have to admit that I do love techniques that give maximum impact for minimum effort and have a high success rate. So, for example, in the Heian Nidan bunkai, that wrist lock and take down following a lapel grab. I think it is interesting how your thought process affects your chances of success. When Rob demonstrates a technique it almost always works. He approaches it with 100 percent belief that it will work because he has done it successfully so many times before. If my techniques work 30% or 40% of the time then I don't approach it with the same confidence. So I prefer the ones that work more effectively for me, but I need to work on getting my success rate up on the others. 
Do you enjoy martial arts movies and if you do, do you have a favourite?
I do like some of the older classics like The Big Boss and Enter the Dragon, but I'm not so keen on some of the newer stuff involving jumping onto roofs two stories above using badly hidden wires. My favourite modern classic has to be Kung Fu Panda.
What are you most looking forward to over the coming months in and around Zenshin?
I just enjoy practising with the most supportive people you could wish for.
If you had any one piece of advice starting out on their karate journey what would it be?
I always liked that Jim Rohn quote. ‘Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.’
How has karate informed your life outside of the dojo and, conversely, how has your life outside of the dojo informed your experiences in it?
Karate definitely does seem to work its way into everything we do. It started off with simple things like taking the stairs two at a time to feel the burn in my legs; then trying to do a perfect Hachi Dachi while  waiting for a lift; and then stepping side-ways - irimi style - into the lift as someone was leaving it and thinking did I enter or evade them? At first I thought it was just me, but now I think we are all doing it.  I have been told by people at work that I am calmer and more open to listen to the views of others since I started karate. My life outside the dojo does also influence my karate. For example, there are some elements at work that I can do quite naturally, confidently and with a degree of unconscious competence. That is the feeling that I am aiming for in karate. For some it comes naturally and others have to work at it.  Unfortunately I am one of those who has to really work at it, but at least I know what I am aiming for.
What would you have written on your karate headstone?
Sorry I'm late!