09 September 2016

Newly graded Dave - the Viking

Newly graded Dave the Viking, reflects on his recent trials and tribulations to attain the lofty heights of black belt.

So a few weeks have passed since another excellent Zenshin Summer School. The dust has had time to settle and I’ve had time to start getting used to the fall-out from the end of the year-long black belt assessment process. It was an amazing, emotional roller coaster of a weekend and, as ever, it was spent in the company of some truly exceptional human beings. However, this is a story that started over thirty years ago with a teenage lad entering a dojo for the first time, with a head filled with ambition and fuelled by a diet of the best martial arts films the 80’s had to offer. That was my first taste of karate (Shotokan) and, although it only lasted about four years it stayed with me for much longer. A couple of other martial arts came and went over the years and I had probably unconsciously written off any idea of really dedicating myself to any form of regular training in a martial art. Surely by the time 40 came around I was too old?

Move the story on to about six and a half years ago and I was sat watching my children taking part in a KEBBA (Junior club), session thinking nostalgic thoughts of my own martial arts experiences. Could I do this again? Encouraged by my wife to give it a go I stepped into the Zenshin Dojo just before Christmas 2009. With a mixture of nervousness and trepidation I did a couple of sessions before the Christmas break before resuming in the New Year for what was to really be the start of a very different journey to what I thought it would be. This wasn’t karate like I remembered it to be; where was all the shouting and bravado, the training for physical dominance and speed? These people did it differently and that was more important than I realised in the early days of training with Zenshin.

Move the clock on again to Summer school 2015 and the start of the black belt assessment process. I had been a brown belt for a year (on reflection, barely enough time) and was stood in the gym at Hartpury about to undertake the first assessment stage with my two training partners Helen and Sarah. At this point I have to say that they were hugely important to me in the whole of the process and I have nothing but respect and admiration for all of them.

Stage One was the familiar mix of kihon, static kihon and kumite in various forms. It was as expected, reassuringly punishing, but with the great sense of elation and achievement afterwards. Stage Two happened at the Winter Dojo and was all about the drills. Tegumi drills, three Waza drills and then ground work. Fast, frantic and physical, but again hugely rewarding. Lots of attackers at varying levels of intensity. It was over before I knew it, but thank goodness for all the training in the preceding weeks. All the work I’d put in on the week nights practising and re-practising each drill to the point of distraction all paid off when it counted. Yes, I was pumped up with adrenalin and enthusiasm, but what made the difference on the day was all the work put in getting it into my muscle memory. Hours well spent.

Stage Three, Summer School 2016 and the return to Hartpury. Over six months had passed since Stage Two. Sounds like a long time doesn’t it? I can tell you that stood in front of everyone waiting for the off I’d have given a lot for another six months right then! Stage Three was all about bunkai and the application of kata and the techniques. Heain Shodan and Teki Shodan katas broken down into the form of applications for certain types of attack. Lots of attackers all lined up and waiting to go. Zenshin Dojoers about to give their best, plus the random addition of Wokingham club members who got involved with great enthusiasm. The only word for that whole experience was CHAOS. It was utterly chaotic and amazing all at the same time and was one of the best experiences I have had with this club. Yes it was relentless, daunting, physically demanding, emotional, painful craziness, but it was also hugely affirming. Why? Because at that moment I realised that I could cope with this. I could get through it because I was prepared. I was mentally and physically prepared because of the excellent training I had received over the preceding years. Because of the time I had been given to learn and adjust and get comfortable with each grade I had received. All the club nights and the practice with a huge variety of club members paid off at that moment. All the nights I wasn’t up for it but went anyway paid off. It wasn’t so much about when I got it right but more about when it went wrong. When it went wrong it didn’t matter because something came out anyway. I felt every bit of it for the next few days, but I wouldn’t change the experience for anything.

Thirty years ago a young man dreamt of being a martial arts superstar and owning a black belt. It wasn’t to be back then, but it probably worked out better in the long run. I’m glad it happened now, and with Zenshin Dojo. I say this because the greatest thing this club has given me is self belief and confidence in my ability to learn, adapt and cope under pressure regardless of how crazy things get. I love the physical and mental challenges that this club has given me and will continue to keep giving. The way marker of black belt is not the end by any stretch. It feels more like the end of Stage One. However, in some ways I shall miss being a kyu grade and the freedom and a degree of anonymity that affords. I now have to keep up the very high standards that Zenshin Dojo requires of their black belts and do my best to set an example.

Finally, the last thing I would like to say is the greatest thank you to each and every person that has helped me along the way. Every instructor, every kyu grade, and anyone else that has given their time (however little) to help me get to this grade. Although it is in many ways a very personal journey it necessarily requires the time of others and for that I am truly grateful. It may have been my grading this time, but it was a team effort getting me there.


Zenshin Dojoers, you rock!