13 September 2016

Tara Reflects

Tara reminisces about her own karate journey and explains why she is still so passionate about her  karate practice after all these years.

2016 is an important milestone year for me and I’ve come into it feeling unexpectedly nostalgic. This summer will mark 15 years since walking into St John’s Church hall, Keynsham, for my
first of many Thursday night practices and 10 years since achieving junior black belt at our equally feared and loved annual weekend away at Lancaster  University. So, for all of these reasons I felt it an apt time to write a piece for the newsletter.

I’ve been thinking about how my practice has changed over the years and how I’ve placed emphasis and importance on different aspects of my practice at  different times. As a junior/ kyu grade technique was  often the main focus of my practice. I felt I needed to have good form, posture, hand position etc. within kata and kihon, which was  accelerated by having such a good technical instructor like Kate. Learning sequences and patterns was something I could do fairly quickly but a difficulty in practice came later on towards green/blue belt when I needed to start filling up my practice with energy,  presence and imagination.   Having a good foundation of technical skills and shapes I now shifted my focus to the  development of ‘mind and spirit’. This is where Rob’s teaching and practice approach complimented Kate’s style. I  remember fondly (and not so fondly!) many practices of being taken completely out of my  comfort zone; screamed at, ran at with and without weapons, kicked, punched and grabbed. At the same time, however, I was given a great deal of time, effort and wealth of knowledge and experience.   By the time I was a brown belt I had started to gain a quiet confidence in my ability to ‘hold my own’ and it was so valuable having peers at the same level to support and push each other  forward. I could now look at Rob in the eye when he was  imitating a raging, violent and verbally abusive attacker without crumbling inside or curling up into a ball to cry on the floor. Confidence is such a powerful feeling but there was never time to get too complacent because it wouldn’t be long before the bar was raised and there was another obstacle to overcome. (I’d like to mention at this point that I may be painting Rob out to be some kind of aggressive, child-beating instructor, but clearly that isn’t the case!)

Achieving my junior black belt was a memory that hasn’t faded over time. However, I held an instinctual feeling that I hadn’t come to the end of something, or gained something that made me special and untouchable, but that I was just at the beginning of my  understanding of the  martial arts. It was almost like the preceding five years had been the starter of a meal and now I was moving onto the main course. Amid the feelings of joy and celebration there was an undertone of  seriousness and uncertainty as to whether I would  actually be good enough to progress any further.
The transition from junior to adult practice took a little time to get used to. It  wasn’t just the adjustment to the style of teaching but the realisation that there needed to be a  responsibility for my own practice and learning. I now needed to think about my practice, the reasons for practicing a certain way,  understanding differences in others, discovering the  practice methods or concepts I found value in and start to shape the future of my  practice. I’ve always  maintained that reflection, both in practice and  afterwards (at home or in the pub!), is such a key  component to progression. I have tried to develop an  analytical eye when watching demonstrations and when watching the effects of  technique or movement on my partner. Verbal feedback can be valuable but both  visual and kinaesthetic  information are far more  beneficial if you know what  effect you are trying to create.   Over the last few years of my practice I have been exploring the importance of body  movement. The idea of body movement will mean different things for  everyone as I think it is such a broad concept. I have practiced with many  different high grades who teach body movement but all move differently. My focus has been on what types of body movement are most  effective and how to refine this and make it more  efficient. This exploration, at times, has taken me out of the structure of ‘karate’ and  allowed me to look at the martial arts as a whole. There are many connections to be found between different styles of a martial art as well as martial arts in general. I have used ‘body movement’ for stability, flexibility, evading, entering, creating angles, being hard and heavy, being soft and light and lots of other places in-between when I have created an effect in my partner. I am really interested to refine these movements to a point where I am using the least amount of effort, strength and speed but  maximising the effect - not because I’m lazy (!), just  because I think we can move smarter, not harder.

Another recent development to my practice has been  taking on a teaching role at my new ladies-only class in Newcastle. I have done very small amounts of teaching in the past so to go from that to teaching a weekly session has been a huge step forward. I am not naturally confident in my abilities so I often think: ‘I’m not good enough to teach’, but I have to remember my 15 years’ worth of experience and try to replicate some of the qualities my teachers have. We have gained a few new faces, who are all enthusiastic, and I am already experiencing the pleasures of
being a teacher when  somebody manages to do their first gedan barai or mae geri unassisted! I have always been told the  benefits of teaching and look forward to seeing how this influences my practice and also develops me  personally.

For me, karate and martial arts have been an integral part of my life since I was a child and are embedded so deep that it makes up part of my identity. I cannot separate myself as a normal, everyday person and as a martial artist; they are one and the same. The skills and attitudes I have learned and practiced extend beyond the dojo and I believe I am a better person for this. I think it is becoming rare for people to want to invest so many years of their lives in the study of martial arts as we are now a society that expects information in an instant and not being prepared to wait for it. However, I have been lucky to meet so many  excellent and truly gifted  martial artists who have
 committed to the longevity of the journey. These people have been prepared to guide people and share their  experiences for which I am very grateful. I still feel like a beginner at times and  actually, I hope to still feel that way for many years to come. I’m not one to naturally give advice but – if pressed – I would say: keep seeking to understand, keep committing to a better you and, most of all, keep practicing.